Home / World / Cuba officials dismiss sonic attack claims

Cuba officials dismiss sonic attack claims


People play chess as U.S. President Donald Trump is seen on television, in Havana, Cuba June 16, 2017.

STR | Reuters

People play chess as U.S. President Donald Trump is seen on television, in Havana, Cuba June 16, 2017.

Although Cuban Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez had denounced the expulsions as “unjustified” and accused the United States of insufficient cooperation, three Cuban Interior Ministry officials and a doctor heading the inquiry provided more details in an interview on Sunday in Havana.

Cuba had deployed about 2,000 experts, from criminologists to audiologists and mathematicians, to investigate the incidents after it became aware of them in February, the officials said.

The probe has not ended, but so far, it had failed to uncover any evidence to corroborate allegations of attacks that the United States says have caused hearing loss, dizziness, fatigue and cognitive issues in diplomatic personnel while based on the Communist Party-ruled island.

“Our main concern at this moment are the accusations being made by the U.S. government and we are focused on that because this is a slander,” said Coronel Ramiro Ramirez, responsible for the security of diplomats in Cuba. There was no immediate comment from the White House or the U.S. State Department.

U.S. media outlets have cited Washington officials as raising the possibility that sonic weapons were used to harm the diplomats. However, Cuban investigators said the Caribbean country did not possess such weapons and denied they could even have been used by third parties without affecting the health of others or attracting attention.

About admin

Check Also

Activision Blizzard agrees to settle California sex discrimination case

Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick speaks at the CNBC Evolve conference November 19th in Los …